SOCIAL SECURITY GADSDEN: Stop Using My Ssn like a Password

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Stop Using My Ssn like a Password

Stop Using My Ssn like a Password


I have got another quick security publish today. I am getting really fed up with people using my ssn like it is a password. Social Security wasn't invented to supply companies having a way of authentication. The SSN never was said to be a secret it is built to be an identifier. It is the one factor that's designed to follow you during your existence regardless of what you need to do for your title or address.

However, now banks, mobile phone companies, and so on make use of the SSN as if it is the ubiquitous epitome of "shared secret." The truth is your ssn is not really everything secure and when it's ever jeopardized, you cannot change it out. Picture this. Let us say you are on the telephone together with your bank plus they request for the authentication password and also you let them know, "it's peanut butter." Someone could hear you! Fortunately, when they do, you are able to call in privacy and say, "I'm not going my password to become peanut butter which has been jeopardized. Please change it out to fried potatoes." Now, passwords is safe again. Now, imagine you call your bank plus they request, "what're the final four numbers of the ssn?Inch You say, "1234." Immediately, you understand someone is recording (or recording) everything you are saying. Sorry, but you are shit at a complete loss.

Stop Using My Ssn like a Password

What exactly may be the ssn for? Like I stated, this is an identifier. It's wherein any organization will keep you separated from the many other organizations within their database. Nobody is ever going to have a similar ssn while you. That causes it to be less just like a password (well, not whatsoever your password) but instead a username. You are searching at dpatrickcaldwell.wordpress.com. dpatrickcaldwell is my username. Imagine exactly what a dip stick you'd think me to become if my password seemed to be dpatrickcaldwell. I invite you to definitely check it out . . . it isn't dpatrickcaldwell (neither is it the final four numbers of my ssn).


Stop Using My Ssn like a Password 

I understand you will find several visitors (and knowing by my statistics . . . about 3) who're now thinking, "well, what must i do then? Everyone wants it!" Let them know no. Say, "I am unable to permit you to use my ssn as my password. I'll alternatively give a PIN or perhaps a pass phrase." Eventually, they'll realize that you are serious and they're going to use another thing or I'd recommend you are another lender. Hell, if an adequate amount of us enter our banks, sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant, change our authentication approach to something apart from our socials, and go out . . . they simply may think it is a movement . . . and buddies, that's just what it's. The Anti Security Massacre Movement.


Please insist upon using something apart from your ssn for authentication and you will find that the chance of id theft will drop substantially.

No comments:

Post a Comment